Sunday 10 February 2013

Maybe I can do it?

A spare room before Less Mess attention!
...and after.












By Steph Knight, orgnaiser extraodinaire and founder of Less Mess


Around two years ago I was a full time stay-at-home Mum with a husband, a four-and-a-half year old son, and a two-and-a-half year old daughter who never slept through the night!  My life was consumed by both my daughter and I being constantly tired and grumpy. 
Life was hard work, especially with no family in Wellington (although we were very grateful for their remote support and visits!).  I felt like having goals, doing something that I loved and being excited about life was at the end of a very very very long tunnel!

Within a year, things started falling into place - we were figuring out our daughter’s issues - we moved house, our son started school and life was starting to feel a bit less chaotic.  Around this time, a few random opportunities came up for me to help out friends, family and neighbours with various things around their homes – reorganising a garage, creating a ‘big boy’ room, moving a book shelf or decluttering toys.  It was a bit of “in the right place at the right time” but the feedback I was getting for my help was great!  And it was super fun! 
Wow - the garage before...
 
My friends and family were suggesting I do this for a job, but I didn’t think I could possibly do that – apart from not knowing the first thing about starting a business, I didn’t think I had the energy to do it.  I had been a stay-at-home Mum for more than 5 years so having the confidence to start a business felt well beyond me.
...and with loads more room after.
 
But over a cuppa with a friend one day, we started chatting and brainstorming.  Then I started Googling and writing and thinking maybe I can do this?  Rather than focusing on the reasons not to do it, we started thinking...why not?  I have always been an organised person, I’m practical, efficient and have a pretty good head on my shoulders...so why not!?
A few weeks after that cuppa, Less Mess was born and I was on my way to becoming a Professional Organiser!  What the heck is that you say?  Many have asked the same question!  I come in to people’s homes and help them get organised – I work with clients to declutter, create storage solutions, make best use of space, help prepare houses for the real estate market, and ultimately help people feel more relaxed in their space. 

In December 2011 I started a Facebook page so that was my soft launch!  The first half of 2012 was spent figuring out exactly what I was going to offer, and the later part of 2012 saw me tackle over 20 clients!!  It has taken me a while to be confident about what I was doing – Can I really do this?  Am I doing things the right way?  What happens if I’m no good? 




I think many Mums feel like this when contemplating life after kids.  My advice – give it a shot!  I did and it has turned out pretty well.  Being a Mum involves many diverse skills – running a family is a busy business itself and I think if we can manage that then we can manage anything.

I am definitely still learning what it means to have my own company, and all the official stuff that involves, but I LOVE what I now do and I am pleased to say that I am proud of myself for what I have achieved so far.
And my daughter is now regularly sleeping through the night J
Find Less Mess on Facebook – www.facebook.com/lessmess.handsonhomeorganising or email getlessmess@gmail.com -  www.lessmess.co.nz coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks ladies - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for doing the blog for us Steph - great inspiration for our readers.

      Delete