Sunday 22 July 2012

How to eat an elephant and other survival tips




By Julia Anderson, marketing and communications consultant - oh, and elephant eater

You know what they say: If you have to eat an elephant, take one bite at a time.

I set up my own business six years ago to get some balance in my life: I had tried combining full-time employment with solo parenting and it wasn’t working for me. I needed to put myself first and start calling the shots about how I’d invest my energy: In other words, I had to stop trying to eat the whole elephant in one gulp.

Getting a part-time job was not a desirable option in my line of work: I was over-qualified, and I couldn’t afford to take the pay cut. Establishing a business had been in my mind for years – so I set about doing it, one chunk at a time.

I set up a company in which I’m the sole employee. I work an average of 22 hours a week on an hourly rate, mainly on contracts lasting for a few months at a time, in a range of different organisations.

I now spend less time at work but I’m far more productive than when I held a ‘full-time’ job. I’m a better family member because I’ve created the space for it and I’m fortunate to earn more than when I was in full-time employment.


How you can do it too
There’s a demand in New Zealand – especially in the main centres - for skilled professionals to undertake short-term work in organisations. This can include specific work on special projects, or back-filling for staff that are seconded or on parental leave.

Organisations need a range of skills for these short-term assignments including marketing and communications, accounting, business analysis, project management, human resources, organisation design and administration – to name just a few. This work comes through recruitment agencies but often your own professional networks will be the source of work that’s best suited to your skills.
If this way of working appeals to you, here are my tips:
  1. Be part of a pack. I still regularly meet with three women who also run small businesses and have been there for me with support, advice and information since day one. I got myself a smart accountant. A free business mentor from www.businessmentors.org.nz steered me through business planning and marketing in the early stages.
  2. Act like the king of the jungle. Be clear about your hourly rate (or range), how many hours you will work, and what skills you offer. Smart employers who value your skills won’t drive you down on price or drive you up on hours worked – if you set clear boundaries.
  3. When the sun comes up, you’d better be running. Yes, it’s competitive in the contracting market – so stay a step ahead. Keep investing in your own training and membership of your professional organisation – you can write these costs off against tax. Regularly update your profile on www.linkedin.com and look for new people to connect with; Facebook can also be a useful tool for staying connected with colleagues and clients you know well - all from the comfort of your cave!
  4. Make sure there are watering holes on your route. When contract work is plentiful, it’s tempting to stay on the treadmill and forget to plan holidays, long weekends or even just the odd day off. Make these relaxation times a priority in your diary, and plan your contract work around it – remember you’re a contractor because you want work-life balance!
  5. Be prepared for the rainy season. As an hourly rate contractor, you don’t get paid when you’re not at work. Set aside reserves to cover holidays, sick leave and times when the contracting market is quieter. Income insurance is also worth considering, especially if you’re the main breadwinner.
  6. I am woman, hear me roar! Be confident. You’re a professional whose skills are in demand. You’re a contractor because you want a healthy balance in life. You can be choosy about the work you will take on, and the opportunities that you’ll graciously decline. And when you’re not feeling much like roaring – remember point number one: you’re not alone - go back to your pack for some tender loving care.
Julia Anderson is a contractor and consultant in marketing and communications at www.thekeyassociates.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment